Naturopathic Doctor Benjamin Lynch Talks about MTHFR and Methylation DNA Defects
In today’s podcast, we have Methylation DNA process expert Benjamin Lynch who is a naturopathic doctor. He received his Cell and Molecular Biology, BS from the University of Washington and his ND from Bastyr University. His passion for identifying the cause of disease-directed him towards nutrigenomics and methylation DNA dysfunction.
Currently, he researches writes and presents worldwide on the topic of MTHFR and methylation DNA defects. He is the author of Dirty Genes. You may learn more about Dr. Lynch and his work at www.drbenlynch.com. Dr. Lynch is also the President & Founder of www.SeekingHealth.com, a company oriented towards disease prevention and health promotion. He lives in Seattle, WA with his wife, Nadia, and three boys, Tasman, Mathew and Theodor.
What Health Diseases are Caused by MTHFR Gene Mutations
Join HealCircles to get free trusted support for greater health!
Are you serious about your health?
Then we have a gift to encourage you! Click here for our founder’s Free Health Journal. it gives you 30 days of free weekly tracking of your moods, diet, meds, symptoms, notes, goals and gratitude.
Here are insights and questions answered:
1. Why did you start getting into Methylation DNA and MTFHR? (2:06)
– “I don’t like my patients not getting better”
– Newborns have over 200 chemicals in their system through the umbilical cord blood
– Children are living with chronic disease, even before birth
– To see how to reduce exposure and why we’re getting sicker
– You can’t understand a patient without diving deeper and understand their unique genetics
2. What is Methylation definition? and why is it a problem? (3:25)
– It is an action — “ation” ; methel is what it acts on
– Methyl is the simplest compound. It’s carbon and 3 hydrogens.
1. It turns on and off our genes
– We don’t want our genes on all the time
– Turning on wrong ones can lead to cancer
– Our genes have to communicate properly
2. It transforms genes to others
– It bounces off one thing to another. When it bounces to one thing, it changes its function.
– For example, seratonin. Methylation will change seratonin to melatonin.
– It creates many different chemical reactions.
– When it isn’t working, you are not working. You have risks of having different symptoms.
3. Would you argue that that’s why we have an explosion of an epidemic of chronic illness? (5:47)
– We have an explosion of chronic illness because of the methylation pathway in our system is doing too much.
– Our bodies are always trying to support us — all the time.
– We don’t have symptoms because our bodies are trying to kill us. We have symptoms because our genes aren’t working how we want them to work.
– If we’re exposed to heavy metals, chemicals, the methylation pathways are being overworked
– You have to put less work and demand on your genes and you will feel better
4. What have we changed in the last few decades that we’re overworking? What are the other things that can decrease overworking?(7:22)
– The number of chemicals in our environment have exploded
– Part of those are heavy metals
– They are pervasive. They are in our food, air, and products we touch even on a daily basis
– Technology is also polluting us.
– 10% of drinking water in the US is high in arsenic levels
– We eat chicken which is high in arsenic
– Arsenic is processed in the body via methylation
– If methylation isn’t working, you will have high arsenic levels which can lead to cancer
– We have plastics, sprays, insecticides, herbicides.
– The more toxins we have in the body, the more work for genes and more vitamins and minerals they need
5. How do we know we have a methylation DNA problem? (11:01)
– All of us have methylation problems multiple times in a day. The good thing is, our body is trying hard to rectify it.
– As long as we provide the nutrients that it needs, it will keep working for us.
– But if we’re gravitating into energy drinks, sugars, carbonated drinks, choleric dense foods, video games, sex addiction, drug addiction, any addiction will make our methylation pathway will be overburdened
– Keep vitamins and minerals coming into play
6. How does someone know when their methylation’s off? What signs am I looking for? (13:25)
– Ask the question why you do it?
– It could be turning red after exercising, it could be staring at the ceiling not falling asleep
7. Can insomnia be a methylation DNA symptom? (14:39)
– Turning red faced after a work out is good if it goes away after exercising, but when still red after 20 minutes or more, it’s not right.
8. What’s happening under cover? Why is that face not going back to its regular color? (15:27)
– When you’re exercising, your hydrogen peroxides increase which stimulates the body to repair itself.
– People who have too much of hydrogen peroxide will slow our methylation down and will increase histamine levels
– Histamine levels are broken down by methylation
– 90% of chronic disease is associated with high histamine levels
– Histamine is released in order to increase blood flow, to support the immune system
– If we have high histamine, our bodies are working hard to try to deliver the blood flow as needed and to do something to our immune system
– It is overwhelming the methylation system at the same time
– The solution is to figure out what is your body trying to accomplish and support
– A lot of times, it could be chemicals blocking your methylation so histamine can’t get out. It could be heavy metals, infections.
– You don’t want your body to support methylation when with an infection because the pathogen will hijack your own methylation in order to reproduce; same as cancer
– Cancer is trying to slow methylation down. The problem is cancer got there in the first place
9. What have you found with respect to menopause and methylation DNA? (20:37)
– Methylation is very important for estrogen metabolism
– As you go through menopause, your estrogen is lower than usual
– Your methylation isn’t working as hard when on estrogen as before
– Methylation should be more freely available
– Estrogen stimulates histamine release
10. What are the other symptoms of a methylation DNA issue? (23:52)
– Histamine intolerance
– Red face during a workout
– Estrogen-sensitive cancers, breast cancer, ovarian cancer
– Skin disorders
– Leaky Gut
– Gallbladder attacks
– Congested liver
11. If someone’s suffering from SIBO, leaky gut, chrones, cholitis, or if they have a methylation problem, what’s the first step? Is it to get tested? Is it go straight into action? What do you recommend? (27:15)
Start thinking: Did I travel somewhere? Did I get an infection? Did I get parasites? Did I take antibiotics recently? DId I put medications recently?
– Metformin can block enzymes in your gut which breaks down histamine
12. What else inhibits DAO in the gut? (29:02)
– Bacterial infection
– DAO’s job is to break down histamine
– It gets easily overwhelmed
– If you have bacteria in your gut that are producing histamine such as yogurt, kefir, fermented food, kombucha, sauerkraut, these bacteria will process histamine and you’ll be fine
– If you’re sensitive to these food, wines and citrus food, you probably have a high level of histamine producing bacteria in your gut
– There’s also genetic problems
13. What else can you do to actually build up DAO and get a remedy for the situation? (30:18)
– A lot of people have an overgrowth of yeast or imbalance with bacteria in the gut
– You might be taking a probiotic that’s very high in lactobacillus content and higher histamine producing bacteria
– You should not be using these probiotics.
14. Which probiotic do you recommend for someone with a methylation problem and a histamine intolerance? (30:53)
– ProBiota HistaminX
– 20 billion bacteria can do so much so fast for people
– Seasonal allergies
– Dust Mites
– Tolerance to food
15. How is this different from some of the other probiotics in the market that have similar formulation? (35:04)
– There are no histamine producing strains of HIstaminX. There are a lot of histamine metabolizing strains and modulating strains.
– This is formulated based on research that reduce histamine in the body by blunting its response or breaking it down in the gut
– There’s an acid-resistant capsule so it doesn’t get destroyed in the gut, it moves on to where it needs to be delivered
– There’s Gut Pro, with a different strain of lactobacillus but with only 5 billion per capsule
– If you’re taking Probiotic HistaminX and you find yourself you need to take 4 or more capsules, your DAO gene is working too hard and there’s something else happening in your gut.
– Look at other microbial and fungi
– Oil Oregano
– Propiolic acid
– Garlic extract
– Allicin extract
– Make an appointment with your doctor that knows visceral manipulation
– Get results immediately for sibo or with digestive problems
– Gently manipulates viscera
– The tendons, ligaments, organs inside your body
– Can massage your gallbladder to squirt out bile
– Gets things working quickly
– The fastest way to get relief in your digestive system
– It takes one treatment
Look at your diet: https://healinghistamine.com/
16. How does methylation cause cancer? What can they do to ensure they’re not a statistic? (41:25)
– “Cancer is not a noun, it’s a verb”
– It’s not a thing you kill, cut out, radiate, swallow chemo — It’s a process.
– It takes a long time for cancer cells to stick to your body
– Immune tolerance: If your immune tolerance is not working well, it’s not going to see cancer cells
Immune Escape: Cancers will go undetected
– Stress and infection are big
17. Are you a supporter of taking HCL acid with meals to help the body? (44:00)
– Not in favor if long-term
– If you have digestive issues, take HCL as you need to but keep asking yourself why are you stressed out?
– Figure out your stressors
– Address your sleep
18. What are your insights on sleep, especially to college students? What’s causing sleep issues? Also pertaining to veganism and vegetarianism? (45:11)
– You need to make sure you get all the nutrients you need, either from supplementation or eating wisely
– Choline supports methylation
– Support B-12 with methylcobalamin, hydroxocobalamin, adenosylcobalamin and supplement with Phosphatidyl Choline (Use sunflower based, NOT soy based)
19. Talk a little bit about both anxiety, depression, and insomnia related to vegetarianism (48:49)
– You’re not getting the methylation support working
20. What is your core message in Dirty Genes? What is the new information your sharing and the program itself? (50:58)
– Genes do work and we need to understand how we work as humans
– Dirty genes look at disease at the genetic level
– Looks at how your body protects you and how your body is functioning, what tools they need to perform well and what makes them dirty
– If your genes get dirty, you get symptoms
– There’s a quiz in the book to see if your genes are dirty
21. Yes or no? Good or Bad in connection with Methylation? (56:09)
– Gluten: Bad
– Dairy: Depends on the individual, but goat or camel dairy is good and cow dairy is not
– Grains: Depends, more no than yes
– Lentils & Legumes: Yes
– Intermittent fasting: Yes, it’s very useful. Make sure you’re strong enough to do it. It allows your body to reset
Liked what you heard? Love what I am doing with my mission of spreading the truth about living healthier, happier and longer?
Then please SUBSCRIBE, RATE AND SHARE with your loved ones!! They will thank you for it 🙂
Till next time, wishing you health, lov, and joy!