- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large leeks, thinly sliced (white and green parts)
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 5 cups water
- 2 cups shelled fresh or frozen peas
- 4 cups firmly packed baby spinach
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Sprouts or fresh herbs for garnish
- In a large soup pot over medium heat, add olive oil and leeks with a pinch of salt. Sauté 3 minutes until the leeks begin to wilt. Add the cubed sweet potato, garlic, and 4 cups of water. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook 15 minutes or until sweet potato is fully cooked.
- Remove from the heat. Quickly add the peas, spinach, and 1 cup of cold water. Stir well until you see the spinach beginning to wilt and the peas are vibrant and bright green.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until it’s very smooth. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls and serve topped with sprouts or fresh herbs.