How it helped me with rashes, mood, energy and fracture!
“Toxicity is the root of your chronic symptoms,” read this article from a nationally renowned doctor around the 9th month of my 15 month journey back to health. It got me thinking and reading and connecting the dots as I continued to read the link between the toxic soup we are living in and the epidemic of chronic illness and depression. The article expounded on the toxicity we add to our bodies through food we eat, personal care products, our homes, as well as the toxic emotions we burden our body with.
It seemed like common sense, why had none of the 11 MDs I had consulted mentioned this before? One of my 21 symptoms had been slight yellowing of the inner corner of my eyes which apparently only I could see and which didn’t show up on any liver test. But I had this innate sense that my liver was full of toxins! I was just baffled where this toxicity was coming from given I was “such a healthy” woman!
I was intrigued enough that I started reading up on all trusted articles on toxicity and methods to detox. I found two I wanted to test on myself:
1. Chlorella tablets
2. An infrared sauna
After conducting more intense research, listening to various experts and podcasts, I settled on investing in an in-home, one person, portable infrared sauna. Here’s why-
1. I didn’t know it would work, so I wanted the least expensive option
2. Infrared had the most recommendations as the right type of sauna
3. I knew if it sat in my workout room, I would actually use it!
4. I wanted a sauna with my head outside as my hives and rashes on my face had made my face extremely sensitive to everything. I had tried a regular sauna and had broken out within minutes.
5. They had a good warranty and return policy in case it didn’t work
A little bit of research on Amazon and I found Durherm brand which met all my needs above. In two days I had this brassy orange tent like sauna setup in my work out room within 15 minutes. Plugged in and ready to go! I began following instructions of doing it no more than 20 minutes at a time a few days a week but didn’t sweat at all for the first 4 times.
Given I hadn’t yet had a reaction either way, I decided to to crank up to the max heat and stay in the sauna till at least a trickle of sweat. It turned out I sweat at about 38 minutes.
Three days later I tried again with max heat and started to sweat at around 35 minutes but this time I went from mildly sweating to drenched in about 5 more minutes! It was about two hours after showering that I first felt a sense of lightness and I wondered if the sweating had something to do with this pleasant new sensation?
Three months of using the Durherm sauna three times a week for about 35 minutes at full heat, here is what I have experienced:
1. Sweating makes me feel amazingly light for a few days- I didn’t know I had heaviness until I did this sauna!
2. My hives and rashes started to occur a lot less frequently and eventually stopped completely. I am now symptom free. Sauna was not the only factor but I know it was a major helper to my liver.
3. When I eat a heavy meal or sugar, I pop into the sauna and don’t have gas and bloating after- I think this might be something to do with use of energy right after ingesting a lot of sugar but I am no scientist! All I know is I’ve eaten three slices of cream cake, then worried about my rashes and bloating, sat in the sauna and felt no ill effects after. You’ll have to try for yourself to see if it works the same way for you!
4. I have more energy the days I do the sauna- and that could be because my body has less work to do in cleaning out the toxins, hence more energy to spare for other activities
5. I am in a happier mood the days I sit in the sauna – not sure about the contributing factor there, could be research study to be conducted to track if moods are related to the levels of toxicity in your body. Higher the toxins, crappier your mood.
6. I broke my foot (cuboid stress fracture) dancing to Zumba and healed within 8 weeks – there is science behind accelerated healing due to improved circulation and perhaps I am proof positive of that!
4. I didn’t really lose gobs of weight- which is something I was worried about, given I was trying to get back to a healthy BMI! Initially I worried, based on all the marketing, that I would be losing a lot of weight, but happily its been a non-issue. If you are trying to lose weight, I hear its fabulous and does work! In my case, I didn’t have enough fat layers for it to burn through I supposed so I only lose water weight each time, which comes right back after two coconut waters.
I’m clearly a happy customer of both infrared saunas and this particular brand Durherm and do recommend to those suffering from chronic illness to give it a try!
Below are the official benefits of infrared sauna from Sunlighten below from: http://www.sunlighten.com/infrared-sauna-health-benefits/
Sunlighten Sauna Health Benefits
Infrared saunas are an effective tool for natural healing and prevention. Infrared light has the ability to penetrate human tissue which in turn produces a host of anti-aging health benefits making infrared saunas one of the “hottest” home therapies for overall healthier living. If you want to get yourself back into balance, the benefits of an infrared sauna may be just what you need to achieve your wellness goals.
Infrared Sauna Detoxification
Sweating is good for you. It is the body’s safe and natural way to heal and stay healthy. Sunlighten far infrared sauna detoxification happens by heating the body directly, causing a rise in core temperature. This results in a deep, detoxifying sweat at the cellular level, where toxins reside.
“Detoxification is important because it strengthens the body’s immune system and helps the body’s biochemical processes function efficiently so that we are better able to digest the nutrients in our foods. Detoxification has also been shown to be helpful with colitis, chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, auto-immune disease, immune deficiency states, autism, ADD and ADHD.” -Dr. Rachel West
Infrared Sauna Relaxation
Unlike traditional saunas which operate at extremely harsh temperatures, infrared is a gentle, soothing and therapeutic heat that promotes relaxation and improved sleep. Infrared sauna benefits include therapy that helps you relax while receiving an invigorating deep-tissue sweat, leaving you fully refreshed after each session.
Infrared Sauna Weight Loss
Studies have shown that benefits of an infrared sauna session can burn upwards of 600 calories while you relax! As the body works to cool itself, there is a substantial increase in heart rate, cardiac output and metabolic rate, causing the body to burn more calories.
Infrared Sauna Pain Relief
Infrared sauna heat penetrates tissue, joints and muscles to relieve anything from minor aches and pains to chronic pain conditions such as fibromyalgia. Pain management professionals incorporate infrared sauna heat therapy into treatment plans to decrease pain and muscle spasms and to speed up recovery time.
Infrared Sauna Blood Pressure Reduction
Sunlighten infrared saunas induce a deep sweat to make the heart pump faster, which in turn increases blood flow, lowers blood pressure and helps circulation. Scientific evidence shows the infrared sauna benefits using a Sunlighten infrared sauna a couple times a week lowers blood pressure.
Improved Circulation from Infrared Sauna Therapy
Heating the muscles with infrared rays produces an increase in blood flow similar to that seen during exercise. Regular infrared sauna use – especially in the mid infrared range – can significantly stimulate blood flow up to twice the normal rate.
Infrared Sauna Skin Purification
The near infrared wavelengths are the most effective wavelengths for healing the epidermis and dermis layers of the skin. Near infrared treatments stimulate collagen production to reduce wrinkles and improve overall skin tone. Far infrared wavelengths target deeper down, removing toxins that can have a negative impact on your skin.
Infrared Sauna Wound Healing
Scientific research has concluded that near infrared therapy greatly enhances the skin’s healing process by promoting faster cell regeneration and human tissue growth. Human cell growth increases to repair wounds and prevent infection.
Cell Health, Muscle Recovery & Immunity
Near infrared light therapy stimulates the circulatory system and more fully oxygenates the body’s cells. Better blood circulation means more toxins flow from the cellular level to the skin’s surface to improve cell health, aid in muscle recovery and strengthen the immune system.
Never miss her articles, subscribe to our blog alerts here >