By Dr. Joel Kahn
- 1 can (15 oz) chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup celery, sliced
- 1/2 cup carrots, diced
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup scallions, sliced
- 1/4 cup or so hummus tahini
- 1 – 2 tablespoons mustard (stoneground or dijon)
- sea salt & pepper, to taste
- dash of garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- juice of 1 lemon, optional
- small handful pumpkin seeds
- paprika/smoked paprika, garnish
- Drain and rinse your chickpeas, place in medium size bowl and roughly mash with a fork or potato masher.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix.
- Add more hummus if you like it creamier and taste for seasoning.
- Serve however you like…make a sandwich, serve on a bed of leafy greens or scoop up with crackers or sliced vegetables like cucumbers, bell peppers, celery sticks, etc.
- Store leftovers in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to a week.
If you find your hummus is a bit thick, thin it out with a tablespoon or two of water.
Tip: I make sandwiches from this when we travel. SO good!!